This is all about augmentations of human energy with electric power for cycling
as the most sustainable form of human transportations

Thursday, August 26, 2010

6th day 125 km upto Holenarasipur

It  was  bit  cold  in  the  night  and  I  had  got up  middle of night  and wear  sweater.  It  had  rained whole  night  and  outside  was  very  muddy.    I  had  fairly  good  sleep  at  police station  and   woke  up  @  5 AM  as  usual.  Then  found  that  there  was no  power.  The  constable  on   duty  was  not  sure  if  it  was  blown  fuse  or  there  was  no power  in  the  particular  line  and  so  back  to  camp    bed  for some more  time.

I  could not  do  much  uploads  from Kavalande   as  signal  strength  was  very weak, that  hobli headquarters  was  not included  in  6 lac  villages  in  India  this  network  is  supposed  to  cover.  This  was  repeat  atop  Dimbam  town  too   from  where  you  can  see  miles  together   from  this   hilltop  town   but  the  signal  strength  is  poor.

I  left  the police  station  with  luggage  fully  covered  and  me  wearing  rain coat  at  around  7 AM.  It  was  still raining  and  the  tea shops nearby  not open  yet.  The  road  was  not  too bad  and  I  reached  Nanjangud  @  8  and had  breakfast  there  in  a  restaurant.  It  was a  welcome  change having  food  in a good  hotel  after  having  had   to  depend  on  lousy  hotels  on  the way. 

The  ride  to  Mysore  from  there  was  bit more difficult  as  reduced  power  took  more  of  my  effort.  The  road  was  bad, lot  of  road  humps  and  heavy  traffic  and  light  shower  adding  its  contribution  to  my  misery.     

I  crossed  Mysore  without  asking  for directions  as  I  had  spent considerable  amount  of  time  there.  I  took  Chamaraja  Double  road    and  to  Hunsur  road  via Crawford  Hall. Everything  seemed  familiar  but  less  trees was  noticeable.   Thought  of  calling  friends  but  that  also  meant  losing  precious  daylight  hours.

I  had  consumed  about  16 Ah  when I  passed  Hebbal Ind. Area   as  bad  roads  and  lot  of  road  humps  had  used  up  more  power.  The  road  humps  that  we  see  all over  takes  up lot  of  energy   and  small  energy  mobility like  electric assist  trike  suffers  considerably.  My  range  was  reduced  from  about  90 km  to  around  60  km  mainly  because  of  those  two  reasons.  The  reduced  range  and  power failures  like  that happens  frequently in rural  areas  plays  havoc  with  the  planning. 

While  passing  by, I  was alert  about  charging  possibilities  and  remembered  Shreeharsha  whom  I  had  met  once  ten  years  back  and  had  a  bread  factory  there.  So decided  to  see  if  he  is  around  as  I  was  keen  on   battery   charge  and  also work  on  computer. He  was happy  to  see me  and  we  had  nice  time.

First  thing  I  did  was  putting  chargers  to  work.  One  of  them  indicted    FULL  after  maybe  45 minutes  or  so  and  I  had  no  reasons  to  suspect  anything  as  I  had  came  from  Kavalande  to  Nanjangud  in  Single  battery  and  assumed  it  is  same battery.  Much  later  when  I  checked  the  voltage I  found  it  low  and  reason  for  FULL  indication  was  loose  connection.  So  I  had  spend  much  more  time  charging  this  battery  alone  so  that I  can reach  Holenarasipur, about  80 km away.

There  was  little  point  in  having charge  but  not  enough  daylight to  reach  the  goal  and  started  around  1.45 PM  though  the  battery  was  not  yet full.  It  started  to  rain  too but  I  was  fully  prepared  for  that.  I  told  Shreeharsha  that  there  is  discontinuity  in  today’s  GPS  tracks  as  I  did  not  switch  on  while  leaving  Nanjangud   and  just  when  I  about to  leave, he  reminded  me  to  switch it  on.  But  in  next  stop  @  K R Nagara I  Again  forgot  to switch   on  which  resulted  another  discontinuity.  Last  evening  when  I  transferring  the  tracks  to  computer  there  was  low  battery  indication.  Hope  to  buy  another charger in   Hassan  tomorrow   as  single pair    charger  proves  insufficient. 

 I  could  not  bring  camera  out   today  as  it  was  raining in morning, afternoon  and  evening.  Low  illumination  results  in    poor  quality  photographs.  So  this  photo  of  him  reminding  to  switch  on  GPS  was  sent  by  him.  It  also  shows  even  the  flag  which  is  still there  is  not   much   visible.  Second  flag   flew  off  couple  of  days  back  &  only  flagpole  remains  which  I  hope  to  remedy  the  situation   tomorrow  in  Hassan. 

I  reached  K R Nagara  @  3.15  as  roads  were  very  good.    One  good  place where  power is  always  available  is   KPTCL  offices  and so  when  I  saw  their  office  in  the  edge  of  the  town, naturally  I  went  inside.  The  staff  there  was very  nice  and  carried  my trike  over    the steps  into  their  offices.  So  was  there  for  an  hour  topping  up my  batteries.

There     road  is  good  all the  way  upto   Holenarasipur  from  Yelwala.  There  are couple  of  road  humps  but  they  not  too bad.  It  is  fairly  level  upto  K R Nagara  but  after  that there  are  couple  of  hills.  Anyway  by  nightfall  I had  reached  Holenarasipura  and  one  of  the  lodges  had  a  mini  theatre  too in  first  floor.  So trike  was  carried  to  this  mini theatre  for  safekeeping  and  my  room  was  in  second  floor .


Shreeharsha said...

you did not mention about your own food in the noon !.
keep yourself fit sir.!

Pejathaya said...

Dear Guru Govind

Have a restful day!

I wrote again to Kendasampige.

Excuse my flaws if any.


Loads of best wishes

Pejathaya S M

Ravi Hanj said...

I appreciate your strong determination. Rain or shine, charged or uncharged, you're going!


ವನಿತಾ / Vanitha said...

Good to hear that you have reached Hassan:))..goodluck..

ಬಾಲು ಸಾಯಿಮನೆ said...

YOu are always inspirig to us! I saw your blog just now. It is really inspirig.
Good luck.
Balu Hegde